Faculty of Food and Chemical Industry
of Altai State Technical University


This page is outdated. Faculty of Chemical Technology was joined with Faculty of Food Industry in 2010. As a result, Faculty of Food and Chemical Industry was formed. Afterwards, on December 12, 2015 it was reorganized into Institute of Biotechnology, Food and Chemical Engineering

Article about the Faculty of Chemical Technology of the Altai State Technical University is presented on this page of the site. The article was published in "Abiturient AltGTU" (Author: Professor A.V. Vikharev).
On the site the article is published with updates and additions.

Altai State
Technical University
named after
Ivan I. Polzunov

Link to the official site of ASTU

Photo of the faculty building
Faculty building

Faculty of Chemical Technology

Dear young people!

Professors, tutors and students of our university
invite you to join us and become a student of the Faculty of Chemical Technology.

Before describing the faculty it would be reasonable to note that chemical phenomena and reactions accompany a human from birth to the end of his life. In each sphere of activity and branch of industry chemical processes play a dominant role. Chemistry and chemical crafts are directly connected with the history of mankind, with its culture. Both in the distant past and at present it is not possible to imagine life of people without materials and chemical substances, medicines, perfumery, etc. Moreover, all functions of organism are performed with the aid of chemical reactions. In this case they flow, as a rule, independently of man's consciousness. During historical development of humanity it arose the need to comprehend the surrounding world. Man not only learned to manufacture clothing, mastered potter and metallurgical crafts, began to produce medicines, but also he began to notice the special features of processes, he learned to control them, formulated laws.

In the antiquity all spheres of human activity enumerated above belonged to the field called "chemi". Contemporary concept "chemistry" was formed 300-400 years ago. At present in the broad sense chemistry includes dozens of sciences and hundreds of professional specialities and specializations. For each speciality the universities and institutions of Russia educate and train professionals. Each university concentrates efforts on some limited range of specialities. Our faculty comprehends four of them described below.


250200 Chemical Technology of Inorganic Substances (CTIS)

Studying chemistry at school, you understood that this branch of knowledge can be subdivided into two fundamental branches: general, inorganic chemistry on the one hand and organic chemistry on the other hand. The CTIS speciality is very wide in scope and deals with the first basic branch of chemistry - chemistry of inorganic substances and materials. A graduated specialist after five years of studying gets a certificate of an engineer of chemical technology (higher education) and can work in enterprises of various kinds on different positions. Education for this speciality is conducted at CTIS Chair.

The professional activity of the graduates can include scientific research, engineering design, administrative work, technological expertise in research and designing organizations, in enterprises for the production of inorganic compounds (salts, acids, alkalis, clean substances, mineral fertilizers and reagents) and materials for semiconductor, laser, metallurgical and space technology, etc.

This speciality is the oldest one at our faculty. It was founded in 1959. The first graduation of engineers took place in 1965. These people subsequently composed the basis of the faculty staff. Famous professors Yu. N. Garber and V. G. Ediger were the first founders of CTIS Chair. Since its foundation the Chair has prepared more than two thousand specialists. After V. G. Ediger it was headed by professor T. F. Svit, associate professors Yu. F. Artamonov, G. T. Shechkov and M. P. Chernov, the latter is a head now. Among graduates of the Chair there are several Doctors of Sciences, professors, about fifty Candidates of Sciences. Now the Chair continues scientific research and trains graduate students who wish to get a scientific degree.

Universality of the base skills of this speciality graduates makes it possible for them to work in the fields that seem to be very distant from the basic speciality: criminology, management, and also in the adjacent branches of industry: fuel, food, pharmaceutical industry, in the production of explosives, detergents, etc. One interesting fact: for many years the Moscow metro was headed by a graduate of our CTIS Chair. Part of CTIS graduates work as teachers of chemistry at schools, higher and secondary educational institutions.

Students can get education on CTIS speciality also in the external form. In 2003 forty-seven students entered our university for studying CTIS speciality in basic (internal) form. The competition was 2.4 persons per vacancy. Additionally, 25 students were enrolled for the external form with the competition of 3 persons per vacancy.


250600 Technology of Processing Plastics and Elastomers (TPPE)

Education for this speciality is conducted at TPPE Chair. The speciality includes two specializations: technology of synthetic fibers and technology of rubber ware. The speciality "Technology of synthetic fibers" was opened at our faculty in 1959 simultaneously with CTIS speciality. However, in 1968 the enrollment of students was ceased. In 1988 it was renewed already within the framework of more comprehensive TPPE speciality after the petition of Barnaul plants, which experienced the scarcity of engineering personnel of this profile. TPPE graduates are prepared for work at the plants of synthetic fibers, rubber ware, machine-building, medical equipment, in research and designing organizations.

According with the cooperation agreement, branches of the Chair are organized at the following enterprises: Joint Stock Company "Barnaul plant of asbestos ware", Joint Stock Company "Barnaul plant of rubber ware", Joint Stock Company "Barnaul tyre plant", where the students have their practical and laboratory training, perform scientific studies. Research work at the Chair is connected with the technology of synthetic and natural polymers, in particular with cellulose esters obtained directly from the wood. In its scientific work the Chair maintains connections with Tomsk Polytechnic University (Tomsk), Siberian State Technological University (Krasnoyarsk), "Polymersintez" company (Vladimir).

During more than five years this Chair was headed by Honored Scientist and Technologist, Doctor of Chemical Sciences, professor B.V. Tronov. He was a highly educated and erudite person who made a large contribution to the foundation of the Chair. Professor Tronov was a graduate of Moscow University (1913). He comes from Zmeinogorsk (Altai Region). This outstanding person made a lot for the intellectual development of Siberia, being a prominent organic chemist, strong chess player, author of verses that were published in press, the first conqueror (1914) of the highest mountain in Altai - Belukha (4506 meters). Under the management of Tronov during all years of his work 63 graduate students obtained PhD (Candidate) degree in chemistry, 9 of whom subsequently became Doctors of Chemical Sciences, professors. Among them are such prominent chemists as laureates of the State Prize Leonid P. Kulev and Gilma Kh. Kamay.

After Tronov's death the Chair was headed by O.N. Nechaeva, M.M. Bel'kova, M.M. Belogurova, R.Ya. Kulikova, L.M. Mozulenko, F.P. Turenko, V.P. Golitsyn. One interesting detail: during some years associate professor A.E. Goncharov worked at the Chair. Subsequently he became the President of the Esperanto Society of the USSR. At present the Chair is headed by professor M.M. Chemeris. In 2003 twenty-eight students were enrolled to study TPPE speciality. The competition was 2.5 persons per vacancy.


320700 Environment Protection and Efficient Utilization of Natural Resources (EP)

Chair of engineering ecology was opened in our university in 1973. For many years it remained the only Chair of this profile in the territory from the Urals to the Far East. Opening of the speciality was caused by the significantly increased anthropogenic impact on the environment in the middle of the 20th century, i.e. by unfavorable ecological situation and by focusing the attention of the international community on questions of the engineering methods for environmental protection, creation of low-waste and wasteless technologies. Graduates of this speciality work in various ecological organizations, in the divisions of environment protection at industrial enterprises, in laboratories of pollution control. Number of the graduates work also in organizations of epidemiological control. Ecological monitoring and management, means and methods for monitoring environment are within the scope of professional activity of EP graduates.

About 30 students yearly entered the university to study EP speciality. Interest to it is very large. Competition remains stable for a number of years and is approximately 3 persons per vacancy.


170500 Machines and Apparatuses for Chemical Production and for Enterprises of Building Materials (MACP)

This speciality was opened in 1986. In that time it was the scarcest speciality in the heavy industry of the USSR. Scarcity of the engineers, mechanic-chemists, took place both in the chemical industry and in adjacent fields. At present managers of enterprises also willingly hire graduates of this speciality because of their universality and wide profile. They are chemists, mechanics and builders at the same time. Such engineers can work in designing and research organizations dealing with development of new technologies. They work in many plants of chemical industry and production of building materials, at house-building companies, enterprises of mining, food and pharmaceutical industry, transport, power engineering, agricultural production. Graduates of MACP speciality can easily find job. Men predominantly are students of this speciality, although there are no prohibitions, and always from one to five or seven women learn in each group of students.

Entrance examinations to MACP speciality are of the same type as to the specialities of machine-building and mechanical profile, i.e. without compulsory examination in Chemistry. That's why people entering MACP can participate in all-university competition to other specialities if necessary. Each year about twenty-five people are enrolled as first-term MACP students.

Training EP and MACP students is now accomplished at The Chair of Chemical Equipment and Engineering Ecology. It descends from the country's first ecological Chair opened in 1973. The organizer of the Chair was Honored Scientist and Technologist, Doctor of Technical Sciences, professor Yu. N. Garber. At present the Chair is headed by his disciple, Deserved Ecologist of Russia, Doctor of Technical Sciences, professor Larisa F. Komarova. A number of graduate students work successfully under her supervision.

Photo. In Laboratory 211 of the faculty building

Photo. In Laboratory 211 of the faculty building
Training laboratory of water purification

One additional chemical chair works at the faculty. It is generally scientific, meaning that its activity is not connected with a certain speciality. This is the Chair of General Chemistry. Its designation - to give fundamental knowledge of inorganic and analytical chemistry to the students of the Faculty of Chemical Technology and basic knowledge of chemistry to the students of all the other specialities in our university. The history of this Chair is very interesting and begins from February 1942, i.e. the Chair is a contemporary of the university and one of its first structural subdivisions. On the base of this Chair the Faculty of Chemical Technology was founded in 1959.

It is considered that official birthday of the faculty is May 20, 1959. Decision about the conversion of the Altai Institute of Agricultural Machine Building into the Altai Polytechnic Institute (now ASTU) was approved by Soviet Government on that day. New faculties were opened, icluding ours. However, prehistory of the faculty goes back to the earlier times.

The first chemical chair (Chair of General Chemistry) began to function on February 23, 1942, i.e. on the day of our university foundation. The latter was opened on the base of the Machine-building Institute evacuated to Barnaul from Zaporozh'ye (Ukraine) during World War II. The staff was formed of the persons evacuated from Moscow, Leningrad, Ukraine, and of the local educated people. First head of the Chair of General Chemistry was professor Nikolai M. Miloslavsky. He was a very mobile and energetic person, excellent lecturer. In a short period he organized a small, but hardworking staff of the Chair. Their activity was not limited only to educational work. In summer time during the war the colleagues worked in collective farms, participated in the timber cutting for needs of the Soviet industry, constructed the railway road to Kuzbass (Kuznetsk coal-field). For this work, by the way, the institute obtained fuel coal from Kuzbass. Apparently, at that very hard war period it was not possible to perform scientific research, so nothing certain is known about scientific priorities of the first head of the Chair. It should be noted, however, that Miloslavsky was a specialist in the field of production control and had about 40 publications. Unfortunately, at the age of 47 he died, working on the timber cutting. After his death professor Victor N. Babun obtained the Chair.

It is known that in 1941 Babun defended his doctoral dissertation. Previously he was a director of a tannery and the chairman of All-Ukrainian Scientific-Engineering Society of Tanners. Babun participated in the 6th Mendeleev Congress in 1935 where he made two reports. In the fall of 1944 he returned from Barnaul to Kharkov (Ukraine). After him the Chair was headed by V.K. Urvantseva, A.D. Vorob'ev, G.N. Ganay, V.I. Latatuyev, M.M. Bel'kova, A.Ya. Stagis, A.V. Vikharev, V.A. Anfinogenov. At present the head of the Chair is a graduate of our faculty, Doctor of Chemical Sciences, professor Andrei I. Khlebnikov. Under his supervision graduate students also work fruitfully at the Chair.

Now the staff of our faculty consists of 42 lecturers and instructors, among them are 5 professors and 32 associate professors. Approximately 500 students are trained yearly at the faculty.

Photo. First graduates and lecturers
Near the faculty building. First graduates and lecturers gathered
to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the faculty (1999)

We expect that you, graduates of schools and secondary educational institutions, will focus your attention on the Faculty of Chemical Technology and, possibly, decide to become our students. All conditions necessary for successful education process are created on the faculty (excellent university library, modern computers, laboratories). Leisure is also well-organized (amateur artistic activity, sports opportunities - ski base, gymnasiums). Students can obtain good medical treatment here. Participation in research work and scientific conferences both inside and outside the university give nice opportunities for career growth. Many of our lecturers and instructors have experience of work abroad: in England (Cambridge), USA, Japan, Switzerland, South Korea, Mozambique, Germany, Italy.

Faculty Photo Album (comments in Russian)
Contact Information

We wish you success in entering our university.
Become a student of the Faculty of Chemical Technology!






Яндекс цитирования